Friday, July 1, 2011

Stellas grand entrance...

And what an entrance this little lady made! With Grant as early as he was, we were anticipating an even earlier arrival from her. We tried for 2 weeks early with natural methods but that didn't work. So the next Dr. appointment we talked about an induction date. The earliest they can do is a week early so we set it. July 1st we were going to head into the hospital at 7am to welcome our little girl.

Thursday night we sent the boys to my brothers house, and we stayed up until about midnight trying to get the house in order. We had our bags packed and we were ready to go. We went to bed. I had a very difficult time falling asleep. It was like Christmas Eve! I finally fell asleep just before 1 am.

Then it happened! At 1:45 I half way woke up because I felt a pop, it was slight and felt sort of like a hip joint pop. Then I woke up the rest of the way when I felt a little... gush... Oh my gosh... Did my water really just break??? I said "Mike, I think my water just broke!!!" He just told me not to move (he didn't want that stuff on our bed!) He ran and grabbed me a towel and helped me to the bathroom. Yep, my water broke! At our previous appointment my Dr. told me that since baby had not dropped that I should not wait if my water broke to come in, just in case her cord started coming out first. So we hurried around and got everything in the car and took off. Mike asked me if he had time to shower... the look I gave him was answer enough!

For the last month or so I had been having contractions every 10-20 minutes, but as we made the 30 minute drive to the hospital they were getting worse and worse. Closer and closer. By the time we got there I was really needing to concentrate and breathe through them.

I called my girls Kaley, Debbie and Tonya who were going to come to my delivery and told them to be on call. I would get to the hospital and get settled and call them to come down.

About an hour after my water broke we were sitting in a room in the labor and delivery triage area. They checked me and I was at a 5 and boy were my contractions coming strong by now. Every contraction was worse than the last. Before we even had even met our nurse for the night I was begging for my epidural (not going to brave it this time like I did with Grant, I was just too tired). By the time our nurse got in there to take me to my room I was in too much pain to even handle it. I was crying for my epidural and begged her to call the anesthesiologist and have them ready for me. Mike likes to laugh now about how the nurse came into our room in the middle of a VERY intense contraction. She looked at me as I was breathing loud puffs of air out and groaning and asked me "Do you want to walk or do you need a wheel chair?" Mike looked at her and told her to get me a wheel chair.

They got me to my room and this is where everything really becomes a blur. The anesthesiologist made it (FINALLY) and started to give me the run down of all the risks and asking me the million and a half questions before she would give it. I was begging her to just give it to me and ask questions later. Right as she finished asking questions, the Dr. came in and wanted to talk to me. I asked her to wait until I had my epidural to talk to me so that I didn't have to endure one more contraction. She warned me that we needed to rush to a c-section because the baby's heart rate had dropped so low. At this point I couldn't even concentrate, I looked to Mike and told him to just make the decision. We then were rushed through the halls of the hospital to the operating room and preparations were being made for a c-section. Mike said the room was so full of chaos. They threw some scrubs at him and told him to hurry and change. He had to stay out of the room while they numbed me. I felt them putting pressure on my back to find the right spot to give me my spinal. At that moment I felt that urge...I yelled out "I HAVE TO PUSH" The Dr. rolled me to my back and checked me. I was at a 10! She said "GO get her husband, we are delivering this baby right here"

A nurse ran out into the hall and shouted to Mike "Get in here! We are about to deliver your baby" He didn't even have time to get the camera out. 3 pushes later and she was out. I was so relieved. I remember just laying back on the table (flat table by the way, no leverage for pushing, I now really appreciate those handy tables in the delivery room that give you something to push against) and looking up at the lights. It was such a feeling of euphoria. I was delirious with tiredness and soaking in every moment that had just passed. Then all the sudden they plopped this beautiful pink screaming little girl on my belly! I can't believe its over! And I can't believe its a girl! That was the first thing I asked. About 4 people (including Mike) looked between her legs and smiled saying "Yep, its a girl"

About 10 minutes after she was born, we were cleaned up and wheeled back into our original delivery room. I had to call my girls and tell them they missed it. We had the nurse check back through our time log and realized that I went from a 5 to a 9 in about 20 minutes, I forgot to mention that just before we rushed off to the O.R. they checked and I was at a 9. It was about 2 hours from the time my water broke to the time she was born. Fast and furious was this little ones entry, when she was ready there was no stopping her. The best moment was when my alarm went off on my phone telling me it was time to wake up to go to our induction! We all laughed.

Stella Kathryn
Born at 3:53 a.m.
8lbs 6oz
21 1/4 inches

8lbs 6oz! She was my biggest baby!
Love this girl! She was my nurse with Grant. I requested her this time but they had moved her to a different department for the night. At least she got to come say hello!
Kaley and Debbie came down right away. Visited from about 4:30 to 7:30


We were so tired and giddy that it was all over! This is what happens when we get around Kaley too!


FOOD!



Our nurse Sharlene and Dr. Chasin was the on call Dr. who delivered our bundle!
Best friend ever right here! She was picking my toenail for me because it was snagging on my blanket!

all my girls!
and now to catch up on some much needed zzzz's

7 comments:

Addison, Crew, Carter & Canon's Mama said...

Wow what a story! I loved reading this post, so fun! I am so glad everything went okay. She is absolutely gorgeous!

Nancy Niederer said...

Wow~ Allie was born in the early AM the day of her induction dates as well, delivered by Dr. Chasin who was on call, and in like 3.5 hours. I too was begging for an epi and the nurses were all chatty and slow. Also, my middle name is Kathryn, so I am all a flutter. So happy you have a little girl now, all those boys will protect her. Miss you!

The VIPs said...

What an awesome story!! And I Sharlene was my nurse and Dr. Chasin was the on call doctor when I delivered David! Crazy. I loved Sharlene, she was awesome. Congratulations!!

Tiffany said...

She's gorgeous! Congratulations!!

Erin said...

What a story! I am so glad you didn't have to have a c-section. She is beautiful and it is so wonderful you have a little girl now! Congratulations Mike and Anna!

Sara said...

She is beautiful! What a way to make an entrance. Congratulations!

Liz said...

Anna! Your story is so exciting! I was riveted. I'm so glad you didn't end up having a c-section. Stella is beautiful. You and Mike are funny (love the pucker faces). And I'm going to go take a nap after reading that. It made me tired. :D Congratulations on your new baby girl!!!