I hate this day…Only for one reason. Its our last full day here. I thought at the beginning of the week
that this day would never get here.
I willed it away but it didn’t work. I miss my children so much but I don’t want to leave this
beautiful country and my parents.
Today was actually a beautiful day. The weather was overcast (which was
perfect for my poor sunburned skin).
We had breakfast at our hotel then went off to meet up with the O’Crowleys
(the couple we had dinner with our first night here). With them we drove an hour to where we caught a private speedboat
for an hour-long ride up the river.
It was so much different than our boat ride yesterday. The water was scary. IT was dark and filled with all sorts
of animals. Our tour guide stopped
a lot along the way and showed us all sorts of different wild life. It was incredible. Animals that we only see on TV. Mostly birds, but a crocodile, and a
turtle were spotted too. We got to
feed a spider monkey, which was a highlight for sure.
At the end of our boat ride we arrived at Lamanai, another Mayan
ruin site. Our guide had lunch for
us (rice and beans and chicken - it’s a local favorite!) then we began our tour
through the jungle at Lamanai. We
heard a family of howler monkeys.
It sounds like some ferocious animal getting ready to attack, but it’s a
cute little cuddly monkey that I just want to take home with me. Ok maybe not cuddly, but it looks like
it is!
We were able to walk all around this amazing site. We climbed 2 pyramids (Seth climbed
4-5). It was exhausting! The jungle in between all the buildings
was so beautiful and green. The
stories and facts that the guide had for us were intriguing. About a ruler who was 7 when he took the
leadership role. Evan? Really? I don’t think so, we would play video games and eat
cake all day long! Well at the age of 24 he had a statue carved of him. I guess something happened and it fell
over. He felt it was a bad omen so
he abandoned the building and the carving. Then he sacrificed 5 children and had their remains buried below
the carving. Bah! 5 children! I don’t understand this part of this culture but its
interesting to hear about.
Anyway, we finished up our tour and took another hour long
boat ride back down the river. We
had dinner in Old Belize City. It
was a beautiful little place right on the river. Dinner was delicious of course. We spent the rest of the evening getting our suitcases in
order and hanging out.
I don’t want tomorrow to come…But I’m so excited to see my
babes at the same time…
My curly hair after we took out the braids
The creator of McAfee's house. Its for sale...Anyone?
The cute little spider monkey that we got to feed bananas to. He would climb down and grab them right out of our hands
the other monkeys we saw later in the day, the family of Howler monkeys
Little bats clinging to the underside of a tree
What the archeologists think the land looked like back when all the structures were first built
No comments:
Post a Comment