Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Baby Marshall Story

Alright so here is how the birth of Grant Ryan Marshall is told by me Mike......

So Anna had a Dr. appointment friday afternoon around 1:45pm and we were going to have the Dr. help jump start her body into labor with a little strip of the membranes.....Dr. wasnt there due to an emergency surgery and wouldn't be back until after 4pm which they said was fine if we wanted to come back to see him. We had one of the nurses still strip her membranes. She was also checked and dialated to a 3. Then we came back and Dr. Hodges stripped her again around 4:30pm and at that point she was at a 5.
After leaving the Dr.'s office we ran a few errands and headed back home in hopes that Anna's contractions would steadily progress in there frequency and intensity. We were home roughly an hour or so when Anna said it was time to head to the hospital as her contractions were becoming more intense and frequent.
We dropped our boys off at Anna's brother Mark's house for the night and headed to the hospital. We checked into the triage station around 10pm who then monitored Anna for about 20 minutes and told us we would be checking into Labor and Delivery cause we were going to have this baby tonight .
It was a packed house in Labor and Delivery that night as it had been snowing that evening and they say the pressure change that comes with a storm has an effect on inducing labor. Anywho...this was it, the time had finally come and we were excited.
Our good friend Kaley was with us and was and would be a huge help over these next several hours.
Anna's goal was to have this baby without an epidural and I will admit that I was a little skeptical as I know Anna has a low tolerance for pain ( I hope I don't get in to much trouble for saying that ha ha).
Well to shorten the story Anna did awesome! We did the whole birthing ball thing then off to the tub and then back to the bed (Poor girl was getting worn out and it didn't help that labor was happening in the middle of the night). Well here we were she had progressed from a 5cm to 8cm dialation fairly quickly but had hung at an 8 for a couple of hours and the contractions were wearing on her. Dr Hodges came in around 2am to check on her since he was on call that night and shortly there after decided to break Anna's water to hasen the last couple of cm's (which did the trick). He gave Anna a quick prep talk that these next 3-4 contractions were not going to be fun or easy and he was right. Anna only pushed for about 2-3 minutes and at 2:49 am we were the proud parents of our third boy! Anna was over joyed too, as the Dr. put Grant on her chest after being born Anna shouted out "Its Over!".Grant was all lungs blazing when he came out and weighed 7 lbs 14 ounces at 20 1/2 inches long with a decent amount of dark brown hair.


My first impression was that he looked like his older brother Evan when he was born. Standing there soaking in this miracle of an experience I was so proud of how well Anna had done and this precious little spirit that I now get to hold in my arms. I felt truly blessed all had gone well, mom and baby were both healthy and no complications.
I told Anna she made this so easy that I was ready for kid number 4 whenever she was (I should have waited to tell her that until it had been a couple of weeks or months as she gave me the stink eye look....ha ha). So there you have it...my side of the story. We came home Sunday nite. Welcome Grant (with big hugs and tonz of kisses) to our family. Thank you Anna you did awesome! I love you! -Mike


The birthing team

(Thanks Angie for the pics!)

14 comments:

Melissa said...

Mike~I loved your version! Thanks for posting this for us. Anna~you're amazing, Miss no epidural! He's so beautiful and I love the name Grant. You'll have to let me know how three boys are. Take care~
Melissa

Louise said...

NO FAIR! Grant was my name! Ok you are dang awesome for the no epidural. Can't say I will ever try it. Congrats- Oh new babies are so fun- it almost makes me want another one.. almost...

Erin said...

Mike that was great and you made me cry! That is amazing and sounds pretty easy! Without having to go through the pain. He is adorable. And Good Job Anna!

Amy said...

I always told you, you were a crazy woman! And now I really believe it! No Drugs! WOW! Way to go! I will never attempt that.
He's so cute! And I like the name. I knew that Grant was going to be in there some where.
Congrats Mike & Anna & Boys!

Alli said...

Only you could be in labor and still look cute! Congrats on Grant - he's gorgeous! I have to admit, I cried when I saw the picture of you with brand new baby on your chest - wow - there is nothing in the universe like that moment in time when you look into your baby's eyes for the first time!! Love ya!

Sara said...

Okay, Anna, it's official, your crazy, and your my hero! How awesome that you were able to do it without an epidural. You are incredibly brave. It was fun to hear about the birth from Mike's perspective. That is something that Grant will treasure when he is older. Oh and here's a fun fact for you, my Sister Amy has four boys. One of them is named Seth and one of them is named Grant!

The Torgersen's said...

Thanks so much for sharing that with us. Aw Mike, you made me cry! Seriously I'm bawling like a baby right now. I'm soo glad Anna did it natural, what a champ! I knew she could endure it to the end and she did! I hope things are going well for your family. We can't wait to meet Grant. Love ya!

JACKI said...

aaahhh... Hi Anna! (I'm Nichelle's sister!). Congrats on your new baby boy! Those were really beautiful pictures. Dr. Hodges is my doc too... dont you just LOVE him?!

Nancy Niederer said...

YEA ANNA! No way, med free?! You are amazing! Way to go. He is so cute just like your other boys! What happy times! Wish I was there to bring you a meal. Hope you get lots of sleep. Congratulations!

Papa Paradigm said...

That is such a sweet story and what a little sweet baby!

Man, Anna you are awesome for no epidural...do you think you'll get one for the next baby?

You are amazing!

Enjoy your new little bundle.

Alicia said...

Okay, Mike. That has to be the sweetest blog entry I have ever read! Congratulations Anna for joining the no-epy club. You rock!
Lots of love, the Dimmitt clan.

Watts Happening said...

Mike and Anna, congratulations !!!! We are so happy for you, and Anna you did a good job ! Now you only need 2 more to make your basketball team. But you don't need to work on that for a while...ha ha ha. Love you guys, Aunt Nanci

megan... said...

Love the story. I really think that I want to go natural when we have kids, but everyone tells me that I'm crazy. So I'm impressed, and hope I'll be strong enough to do that too!

Pam's Blog said...

Mike and Anna, Congratulations! You have a beautiful baby. (love the pictures)I also loved the story. Take Care you guys, we miss you.