

Finally loosening up after mommy and daddy made funny faces with him in the waiting room. Sorry for this pic mike, but I think its cute!
Showing off his super sweet new outfit!
waiting for the juice to kick in and help him relax. They gave him his own mask and let him rub different flavored chap stick inside so that while the gas was going through it, it would smell good. He thought that was really cool.

Dr. Fairfax. She was the Dr who we had when he was an infant, and the Dr. that performed the surgery. She is wonderful! And here is the war wound! 
These fun clowns came in while Seths friend Matt was visiting. They told jokes, gave them treats, and gave them a "bubble bath". Seth spent most of his time in the hospital playing the PS2. While prepping for our visit, that was the only part that kept him ok with the whole thing-knowing the PS2 was waiting for him!
Anyone ever seen Madagascar 2? This picture below is Seth trying to imitate Gloria when she was sippin' her drink by the wattering hole when she meets Moto Moto! We love that movie!!!
Seth was so hungry but could only have liquids. They threatened to take that away as well because he couldn't keep anything down. Every time they gave him a new dose of morphine or demarol(???) 5 minutes later he would lose it. They gave him anti nausea meds, but that didn't really help. He finally kept things down by the next morning. And on the last day there he was able to eat regular foods. He was so hungry on the liquid diet that he was ready to eat the cup! He lived for 2 days on popcicles, milkshakes, icecream, water and juice. Talk about a kids dream diet!
Getting ready for a walk around the floor. I thought the words at the top of the picture below were very appropriate. 


The trip out to the car. They were so fun for kids at this hospital. But as much fun as it was, I think Seth was excited to get home!
This was such a strange experience to go through. One that you just never really think you will have to go through or wish to go through with your child. When they took him back to the OR he was a little loopy but still very much alert. He got teary eyed and so did I. It was so hard to send my baby back with complete strangers who I was trusting with my childs life. We took a pager from the waiting room and went outside to enjoy as much as we could of that beautiful weather. The surgery took an hour longer than expected (4 hours total) but the OR was very good about calling out to check in with us so we didn't freak out. The Dr came out after it was finished and gave us a picture of the surgery. She said it went very well. Just as she had planned.
We were able to go to the recovery room to see him as soon as he woke up. About 30 minutes after the surgery was over. It was so strange to walk into a room where my child was completely out of it. His face was pale, he looked swollen, his lips almost looked grey. He was in and out of consciousness for quite a while. At one point I leaned down and wispered in his ear that it was over, and his eyes shot open and said "they already cut me open?" I told him yes and he closed his eyes. A few minutes later he said "mom? I'm really glad I can put this behind me" It was really sweet.
That first afternoon and evening were very interesting. He was very moody and his perception of things was way off. He was yelling at Mike and I for all sorts of things. We just kept looking at each other with wide eyes.
For the first4-5 days he was peeing pretty much straight blood but now its all better. He suffered from bladder spasms which was the most pain I think I have ever seen anyone in. It was after we got home. Saturday night he went to the bathroom and started screaming for me. I went in and his whole body was trembling. He was pale and clammy and said he felt like he was going to throw up because it hurt so bad. It took about 15 minutes for his body to settle down, and it happened a couple more times before we called the Dr. THey called in another prescription. The meds kicked in and he was fine, and today he isn't on them any more. He has been off of all pain meds now since about Sunday and he is doing great! I was looking forward to a couple weeks of down time but I didn't even get one. He is out running around with his brother, and doing everything he was doing the day before his surgery. I am AMAZED at how quickly his body is healing. What a trooper. We are just so glad it went well and that he is home with us now.
15 comments:
I am so glad everything went so well. They really know how to take care of kids in the hospital. Maybe they are just easier to distract then adults. Way to go Seth! It is so hard to let them wheel your child away as you pray everything will go fine. I'm glad you can all put this behind you now.
Anna! what a hard thing for a mother to go through, I remember how rough it is when they are weepy and moody after surgery. Brock also threw up minutes after the pain meds, we finally just gave him Motrin for pain, since he could keep it down. I am glad Seth is on the mend - how sweet that Matt went to see him! We are all relieved its over. Take care!
Wow, I'm so glad that Seth is recovering well. I can't even imagine what it was like to go through that for him or for you and Mike! Thank you for updating your blog about how everything went. I'm glad that Seth is back to being himself and feeling better.
Seth is so awesome! It was fun to visit with you guys this week!
Oh Anna! You are amazing! What an ordeal to go through! So glad your little boy is okay and things went relatively smooth.;)
Anna, I'm so happy everything went smooth. It is so very hard to see someone so young have to go through so much. I'm glad you are all at home and happy :)
you are such an amazing mom :)
I am so glad everything went so well and Seth is okay.
I'm so glad to hear everything went well! He's such a trooper and isn't it amazing how fast kids recover! If only we could...
Hopefully he is continuing on his path of recovery and he no longer will have problems!
Miss You!!!
First, I'm really, really glad it all turned out well and that it's over and that Seth is recovering quickly and getting back to normal!
Second, I choked up pretty much the whole way through all these pictures and this story. If I wasn't a mom, I don't think I would have. I just can't imagine going through all that with my child and seeing a kid dressed up in hospital clothes and walking around pushing an IV is just so sad!
Hugs and kisses for your whole family!
xoxo
Dr. Fairfax is my niece, Kayla's urologist and she IS wonderful! Kayla had surgery last summer and is doing awesome... Glad everything went well with Seth! :o)
Anna, how scary for you. I am so glad everything went well. I hope he will be all better now. I cannot believe how big Seth is, he looks like a 10 year old. He is so tall. I hope all continues to go well for you all.
How scary! Glad everything went well. My mom works in the pediatric recovery, I wonder if she took care of him...do you remember the recovery room nurse? Hope things continued to go smoothly and all is back to "normal".
Carrie
My mom has shoulder length dark hair and her name is Debbie, or some people call her Deb. That would be funny if she was Seth's nurse!
Carrie
i am glad to hear that everything went well...i can't imagine what you went through..
Anna
I am so glad that he recovering well. That is a lot for the mommy. You are a great mommy!
Post a Comment