Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Surgery day

Today is the day. We actually had this scheduled for mid-July, but the boys got colds so we postponed it.
A little history. Everyone asks why the boys are getting their tonsils out. My boys have been told by every Dr. they have seen that their tonsils are huge. They snore like crazy, Evan catches every bug that comes through our house, He is a terribly light sleeper, and he has a chronic runny nose. Seth on the other hand has been very healthy, sleeps fine, and is a relatively calm, happy child. We were very hesitant to get his tonsils out just because there didn't seem to be reason enough. The ENT suggested that they both have them out. We knew for Evan it was the right thing to do, but with Seth, we spent a lot of time praying. We finally decided that we felt good about our decision to have it done. So here we are...
We woke up early and got ready (Loretta and I) then woke the boys up and ran. They were in their jammies still and Evan brought his blankie. They were so fast moving in that place. They brought us back to the pre-op room. When they took Seth back to surgery they moved us to a recovery station so they could use that room for someone else.
We sat with Evan while waiting for the Dr. to finish up with Seth. Then the Dr. came in to give us an update on Seth. The Dr. knew of our hesitation about having his out so the first thing she told was "you will be so glad you got these out, his tonsils were so bad that it looked like he had chronic tonsillitis" I instantly knew that we were guided in the right direction and that we had done the right thing.
Then the Dr. said it was time to take Evan back. I didn't get a picture of this and am so sad that I didn't. But the Dr. picked Evan up and carried him back on her hip. It was so sweet. I really loved our Dr.
They then moved us to the waiting room and within 5 minutes they called us back because Seth had woken up from the anesthesia. He did a wonderful job coming out of the anesthesia. He wasn't in too bad spirits. We were then moved back to our recovery station while we waited for Evan to come out. Before we moved out of the post-op room we heard Evan in the room across the hall coming out of his anesthesia. It broke my heart. He was having a more emotional time with it. He was coughing, and crying. But I couldn't go in there yet. I wanted to run in there and hold him.
A few minutes later they came and got me to go be with Evan. I was so grateful that Loretta was there with me because I couldn't imagine leaving Seth alone while I went to be with Evan. Evan was a little emotional mess. He wanted me to hold him but wouldn't stop crying and moaning. They gave him some more medicine that made him fall asleep. Then they moved us to the recovery room too.
Evan pretty much slept the whole time and Seth was wide awake. They did great the rest of the time and before we knew it we were on our way home. I was so glad that the day went so smoothly, I couldn't of asked for a more attentive group of people working on our boys. We are so blessed to have the means to have work like this done. We know that Heavenly Father has blessed us and guided us to the best hands possible to take care of our boys.
Thank you Loretta for taking the time to come be with us. You will never know how much your time with us has helped.Sharing a bed in pre-op
Evans tonsils
Seths tonsils
Just relaxing with mommy for another minute before he goes back.
Post-op: This is where they put the IV in
Heading to recovery
Look at those bad boys! Seths are on the left and Evans are on the right.
sooo gross!
Getting the needles out of the ankles
On our way home. Unfortunately the battle has only begun!

No comments: