Sunday, February 24, 2013

Belize - Day 2

-->
February 24, 2013

Today was another busy wonderful day.  We woke up, showered (saw a gecko about only an inch long along the wall of our room) and got ready for Grandpa to come pick us up for church.  We went to their house first to have a French toast and fresh fruit smoothie for breakfast

Church was another short drive to a small-gated church house.  We were humbled at their building.  It was nice, and the chapel was air-conditioned but that was it.  The rest of the building had windows and fans.  The people were so kind to us.  One little girl walked right up to me and gave me a huge hug when Granny introduced me to her mother.  Seth and I hung out on the grass outside with the rest of the children in-between classes.  The Spanish portion of the branch met first, that’s the one that we attended.  After church granny took Seth and I home while they stayed for the additional hour of English-speaking sacrament meeting.  One thing I love about the church is that the spirit is the same even if you can’t understand the words. 

After church Granny, Grandpa, and Mike came home with lunch from a woman who they often get their meals from.  We had rice and beans (not to be confused with beans and rice – seriously, there’s a difference!), chicken and potato salad.  It was good!  We had the leftovers of it for dinner. 

The youth were going on a special excursion this afternoon and invited us along.  They went into Cahal Pech, which are some ancient Mayan ruins.  We circled together and read out of the Book of Mormon together about the nephites, as we are in their land.  Then together we walked to the top and all around the ruins.  Probably not the most reverent way to spend the Sabbath but it sure was fun.  Seth had a blast running around with all these kids. 

After we got home we went right away with Grandpa to go to his institute class he teaches each week.   This week it was at a chapel in Succotz.  This chapel was BEAUTIFUL! We were shocked to see such a nice building out in the middle of this place.  It was nearly as nice as something you’d find in the United States.  Seth loved sitting down at the piano while we waited for it to start.  There were 7 sisters who showed up.  A couple of them were return missionaries and we had a really fun lesson on what it means to be an apostle of Christ.  I love being able to see day to day what my parents do on their mission. 

Tonight we came home to their house and had leftovers.  Seth and Grandpa made some popcorn and we did some dishes together.  I noticed while helping dad do the dishes that they don’t have any hot running water.  It’s only cold.  So they wash and rinse with cold water then boil water on the stove and dip all their dishes in there after.  It was quite a process and when I questioned my dad he said “well, I’m here for 2 years, what else am I going to do?” I just told him I’d probably lose a lot of weight because it wouldn’t be worth the hassle just to eat!

As we drove home tonight Seth and I sat in the back of the truck so we’d have room to take a couple sisters home from institute.  We watched and were humbled again at the living conditions of these people.  Some situations look dirty, some unsafe, some down right scary.  Some of these women we dropped off at their dark homes in the middle of a (to me) scary looking neighborhood.  And they walk right in and take it on without hesitation.  It makes me wonder how some of us are born into clean loving situations and others, entire countries, are born into such poverty.  Most couldn’t even dream of living how we do.   I feel blessed and spoiled, and like I want to get rid of half of what I have and be grateful for what I used to think was my tiny house!  Its clean, warm in the winter and cool in the summer.  I have a safe neighborhood where the worst thing that happens is the neighborhood kids knock on my door a hundred times a day asking if my kids can play… I am blessed, and I am grateful!

 Their construction process is funny!  They used tree branches and trunks to hold up their structures during the building process!

 Granny had to run to a friends house for a minute to drop off chicken bones.  We went with her for the ride.  What a humble home.
They found a pitch black room, this is what they all looked like when I flashed the camera!
 Seth met a new friend Henry.

No comments: