Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Belize - Day 5



Here is Seth thinking he's going to ride in the back of the truck for our drive to Belize City.  Ya right!  But his bed was pretty cute.

We had another wonderfully relaxing day today.  Mostly spent the day traveling to San Pedro island.  We drove for 2 hours, met up with another senior missionary couple the Orr’s who drove us the rest of the way into Belize City.  They dropped us off so we could meet our water taxi.  We had a 1 ½ hour ride by boat into San Pedro.  We checked into our hotel, which is literally RIGHT on the beach.  Its so incredible.  I’m sitting on our porch right now that steps off onto the beach.  The Caribbean Sea is about 30 feet from me.  I sat here reading and working on my blog while I watched the moon rise behind a palm tree.  I can see the reflection of the moon in the sea.  Its breathtaking!
After we checked in we got our rental golf cart and started our adventure playing around the little city.  We could see both sides of the island.   We ended up parking the cart and spent our time walking up the beach to find a beach side restaurant to eat some dinner.  After dinner we drove to a favorite frozen custard shop D and E’s.  The locals call it DandE’s (dande’s).  It was the most delicious ice cream I’ve ever tasted.  I’d like to eat there every day…
We drove a little more then came back to our room.  We’ve been sitting on the porch since.  If I had the rest of my children with me I’d never leave here.  Its so beautiful!
I failed to mention that while we were waiting for the boat, a lady was going around braiding hair for $5.  The boat ride was said to be super windy so I had her do mine. 


After I finished writing this tonight Mike, Seth, and I decided to go for a walk.  We walked out on a dock and sat on the end watching the sea.  They had lounge chairs out at the end.  Then we noticed the neighboring dock had a swing on the end of it. So we grabbed Granny and had her come for another walk with us.  It was so beautiful!  Such a quiet moment that I hope I remember forever.
The view on our boat ride over.  Oh I want to see this every day!


fancy folding technique on the toilet paper and towels!

My hair after the hour and a half boat ride.  So grateful for the braids!
Seth had a chance to drive the golf cart around a little bit tonight.  What a patient grandpa!
And my amazing view that I hope is burned into my brain forever!



A few funny things we saw on the way over.  Man handing out the back of a van, another school (not funny, just cool to see it in another culture), and again not funny, but their cemeteries are interesting.  They bury their dead above ground.  They just seal their caskets inside concrete blocks.